One in 8700

In 1990, siblings Andy and Jen Li moved to the United States from China. Jen, who has now lived in Middlebury for six years, believes there is a big difference between the two countries. Nonetheless, she is glad to be raising a family here.

“It is a very nice and enjoyable community,” she said.

The Lis, who have been the owners of Ben Franklin since March 2009, worked in the restaurant business before they took over the department store. Their older brother, Fuda, opted to stay in Burlington where he has continued his work at the family’s Chinese restaurant. Andy actually owned Middlebury’s China House, but he recently sold the restaurant.

Both siblings have experience in the world of retail, and each enjoys this line of work. Andy worked in New Jersey before moving to Vermont, and Jen said the two see their cousin as a role model because he now runs a successful business in Philadelphia.

“I am only in the store three days a week because I have three kids to take care of,” Jen said. “The restaurant hours were too tough with small children at home.”

A business owner himself, Andy and Jen’s father is an inspiration. He has lived in the United States for over 25 years, and has owned several restaurants and stores here. He now works as a general contractor.

Ben Franklin, located at 63 Main Street, sells all basic essentials. The Lis have their own distributor that works the store. All products are bought from there.
“My whole basement is filled with toys from the store,” Jen said. “My kids love them.”

Alice Babbie, the sales manager at Ben Franklin, has worked at the store for 19 years. Babbie has worked under many different owners at Ben Franklin. She said it can be divided into several sections: health and beauty aid, fabric patterns, house-ware, domestics and the toy department. Babbie, a resident of Shoreham, loves the gift and party section, while Li said she prefers the seasonal items that differ depending on the holiday. Custom framing is available, as well, and Jen said this has been a customer favorite recently.

“Right now, we are getting ready for Halloween,” said Babbie. “There are decorations, costumes and candy being sold already.”

Li is willing to order specific products for customers if they are not readily available. There is a senior discount on Tuesdays and anyone who is a member of the Middlebury Natural Foods Co-Op or a Horizon member at the Middlebury Bank receives 10 percent off daily purchases. The store also encourages customers to make donations to the various organizations that it sponsors.

While Jen said she and Andy offer customers some new products, the two haven’t made any significant changes since adopting their ownership position.

“We really do have everything you need,” said Babbie.