51 Main fills docket for upcoming year

51 Main at the Bridge, the popular restaurant and entertainment venue in downtown Middlebury, has a plethora of events planned for the upcoming year. Community discussions, live music and opportunities for students to showcase their talents are part of the varied lineup. Sarah Franco, 51 Main’s cultural activities director, has a wide range of events in the works and she hopes to create a new atmosphere at the restaurant.

“Certainly we’re trying to get more students in [to 51 Main] by trying to connect the programming we’re doing here with what’s going on around campus,” said Franco.  “It’s certainly been a lot of townspeople, so we’re hoping to increase the amount of students, as well.”

A sophisticated space for students to eat and enjoy off-campus entertainment, 51 Main wants to collaborate more with the campus. Franco wants to involve the faculty and staff from the College in the events, as well, by having them share their expertise and experience.

“There’ll be another book talk by Barbara Hofer, who’ll do something during Family Weekend,” said Franco, referring to Psychology Professor Barbara Hofer. She recently published a book called The iConnected Parent: Staying Connected to Your College Kids (and Beyond) While Letting Them Grow Up.

“We’ll also have Jeff Stauch, who graduated in 2005 and currently works in College Advancement and he’s going to do a reading from his memoir called She Changed Paris,” she added. “So the general idea is just to bring in interesting people who know interesting things.”

Many live music acts are also on tap for the semester. Franco said there are generally a lot of jazz and blues musicians excited to perform at 51 Main, but she is always looking for other people and musical styles.

“One band that I’m really excited for is Lily and the Parlour Tricks,” she said. The band is performing on Nov. 6 until 12 a.m. “They’re really cool; it’s like this mix of music from the 19th century and music from the 1960s."

Other acts include local bands, like Joshua Panda, as well as bands on tour, such as Adrien and the Fine Print with The Young Republic. Both are from Nashville, Tenn. Franco hopes students will perform too.

“Any student who could perform or exhibit anything, I’m willing to explore that with them to make it happen,” said Franco.

Last year, there were a variety of student performances, ranging from dance pieces to a one-woman show.

“I’m hoping to get some of the improv groups to come and perform as well as some of the a cappella groups,” she said. “We’re only limited by the creativity of our community.”

Interested students should contact Franco at sfranco@middlebury.edu.

Franco is also working to raise awareness about these performances and opportunities. All are encouraged to visit 51 Main’s website, www.go51main.com. Franco posts a blog each week, detailing the events for the upcoming weeks.

“We’re also trying to increase our profile on Facebook and Twitter,” said Franco, “Basically from now until the end of the year, we’re going to have a Twitter or Facebook fan special every month.” She also wants to put 51 Main on Foursquare. This way, the restaurant can give away prizes and offer special perks for fans. There is also a t-shirt design contest in the works.
The accessibility of price also plays a role in 51 Main’s popularity, as there are no cover charges and entrees ranges from $5-15.

“Students on a tight budget can still afford to eat here,” Franco said. "

With new opportunities and ideas for students to connect with 51 Main and the town of Middlebury, Franco wants student attendance to increase, as well as student participation “both in terms of planning and also in terms of performances.”