Local Brief: Cycling against cancer

Maribeth Gero’s daughter Jessica was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma when she was 13 years old. Jessica has been in remission for 21 months, but her mother remains an advocate of cancer awareness.

Picture-31-249x300

“Cancer is extremely hard,” said Maribeth Gero. “I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.”

Maribeth Gero joined activists of the same mindset at the Spin for Hope fundraiser on March 7.

The American Cancer Society organized Spin for Hope, which was held at Middlebury Fitness. The Middlebury gym was one of 37 fitness centers across New England hosting the cycling event, which lasted for three hours.

Begun in 2005 with six clubs participating, Spin for Hope exceeded its initial goal, raising $115,000 in its first year. Five years later, the number of clubs has grown to 37. Last year the event raised $350,000.

As of press time, Sunday’s participants have managed to raise $251,175.78 of their $385,000 goal. Individuals and team members were expected to raise $100 each to spin for an hour, in addition to the $25 registration fee.

At Middlebury Fitness, the 12 participants, who were all female, took turns on the spinning machines. Most of them cycled for all three hours. Instructors Janet Morrison, Kathy Reynolds and Laurie Lowy guided the participants through the three -hour ride. The challenge was both physically and mentally demanding, and the women encouraged each other with stories of loved ones who had cancer. They also played uplifting songs, such as “I Run For Hope” by Melissa Etheridge, who had breast cancer.

“This song is inspiring,” Lowy said. “Just change ‘run’ to spin; to spin for hope.”

Maribeth Gero, who is the massage therapist at Middlebury Fitness, cycled all three hours to support Jessica, who also participated. The mother-daughter duo raised over $200 together.

“I am proud of her,” said Maribeth Gero, referring to her daughter. “I know [Jessica] needs to forget, but she also needs to remember.”
Having supported her daughter through the disease, Maribeth understands the importance of creating awareness. She hopes that fundraisers like Spin for Hope will allow for better technology to fight cancer.