Local Lowdown - 02/18/10

Mardi Gras party

Feb. 19, 8 – 9 p.m.

Come eat gumbo and red beans and rice at the Art House in the Marble Works. Dance to Gumbo Ya Ya, playing second line, funk and world beat music. There will be beads, masks and hats galore! Donations will be requested at door. For more information, please call

(802) 458-0464.

Rummage and Bake Sale

Feb. 20 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Step out to the New Haven Congregational Church Ladies Union fundraiser. There will be delicious homemade baked goodies for sale to take home. To contribute baked goods, please call (802) 388-4571.

Winter Ecology Walk

Feb. 20, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.

Meet on Upper Plains Road across from the landfill to explore the Salisbury Municipal Forest with naturalist Jim Andrews. He will lead a leisurely walk with winter identification of trees and discussion of wildlife tracks and signs. Bring snowshoes if snow is over six inches deep. To sign up, please call

(802) 352-4327 or (802) 352-4734.

Wooden Ski Classic

Feb. 20, 12 – 1 p.m.

Cross-country skiers are invited to break out their vintage ski clothes and wooden skis for a classical ski race, the older the better. Points will be deducted for anything invented after the mid-’70s! The entry fee is $15 and more information is available at (802) 247-6735.

CD Release Party

Feb. 19, 8 p.m.

Join Barefoot Truth, with opening acts The Sweet Remains and Naia Kete, at Burlington’s Higher Ground Ballroom in celebration of their latest rocking, reggae-infused album Threads. Doors will open at 8 p.m., and the show will start at 8:30 p.m. All ages are welcome and tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the show.

Volunteer Orientation

Feb. 23, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.

Interested community members and potential and current volunteers are invited to learn more about housing issues in Addison County and volunteer opportunities at the Middlebury College Library, Room 201. This session is offered by the Middlebury Community Care Coalition. Please call (802) 443-3010 for more information.