Local Lowdown - 11/19/09

Energy Solutions Co-op coffee hour

Nov. 20, 9 –11 a.m.

Join Middlebury town Energy Coordinator Laura Asermily and drop by Carol’s Hungry Mind on Friday to ask about the Middlebury Co-op’s renewable energy efforts and offers. Feel free to share your ideas for the Co-op and any feedback on our products and benefits. Sample bags of local wood pellets will be available for $5 each while supplies last.

Ten Thousand Villages craft fair

Nov. 20, 2 – 8 p.m. & Nov. 21, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Jumpstart your holiday shopping at the Memorial Baptist Church on 97 South Pleasant St. Shop Friday and Saturday for home décor, art pieces and accessories — including hand-painted ceramics, intricately woven basketry, handcrafted jewelry, textiles and more — created by fairly paid artisans around the world.

Contra dance

Nov. 20, 7 – 10 p.m.

Get your dancing shoes on to meet locals and take part in a Vermont tradition that is fun for all ages. Musicians Peter Macfarlane, Rick Klein and John Dickason form the band with caller Rachel Nevitt Friday night at the Middlebury municipal gym. The event is hosted by the ACT Teen Center and ACT-registered teens get in for $4, individuals for $8, couples for $12 and families for $16. More information at http://www.addisonteens.com.

Board game marathon

Nov. 21, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.

The Ilsley Public Library presents the first ever “Gathering of the Gamers,” an all-day event that includes 50 or more board games. Play a few games with friends or attend one of the game demonstrations: 11 a.m. for Go or 1:30 p.m. for Carcassonne. There will be game and prize raffles throughout the day, so if you find a game you like, you just might get to take it home with you. For more information or to teach a game, call Chris at
(802) 388-4095.

Imogen Heap

Nov. 28, doors at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.

Don’t miss the recently announced performance at the Higher Ground Ballroom in Burlington of this Grammy-nominated singer and songwriter known for her work as part of Frou Frou and for her 2005 solo record, “Speak for Yourself,” which she wrote, produced and mixed. She has produced two other solo albums, including 2009’s “Ellipse,” which was an immediate North American chart success. Tickets are $25 in advance and $25 the day of the show. Buy them online at
http://www.highergroundmusic.com.

ACTR public hearing

Nov. 30, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.

Addison County Transit Resources, the public transportation provider in the Addison County region, has been awarded grant funds from the Vermont Agency of Transportation to expand shuttle bus services and is proposing three major service changes. They will be taking comments at four public hearings, the third of which will be at the Ilsley Public Library Meeting Room on Monday, Nov. 30 at 5:30 p.m.