Editorial A new look, a new day What do you think about it?

Author: The Campus Editorial Board

Three years ago this week, the 2004 staff of The Middlebury Campus launched a new look to the newspaper. Today we do it again. But this time we've gone one step farther.

In response to budget pressures and printer difficulties, today The Middlebury Campus officially launches a new and more efficient production schedule and paper layout that will have the student weekly of Middlebury College on newstands a whole day earlier every week. The new process will also save the Finance Committee thousands of dollars, and ensure The Campus can continue to grow and expand for years to come.

At the same time the paper is experimenting with new layouts and design "aesthetics" that will (we hope) make the paper better organized, more attractive and more accessible to our readers. Student favorites like the arts and features sections have new cover pages to showcase their inside content and lure in the casual skimmer. Regular features and columns of the paper are now anchored in shaded boxes with a distinctive new font.

Speaking of which, a host of new weekly content, from a student technology column to a sexual health writer, have landed on The Campus pages this week.

Behind the scenes, over the past semester The Campus has tripled its editing oversight. Every page of the paper is now read by nearly a dozen editors over the course of our weekly production. We hope the process will serve to better reflect Middlebury College to our readers "beyond the bubble," and more carefully prepare our writers' hard work for publication.

Now we invite you to tell us what you think. Starting later this week, The Campus will launch its first-ever readership survey to gather student, faculty and staff feedback, as well as feedback from our off-campus readers. We look forward to your input, and to the continued improvement of the newspaper we all enjoy.