Cobu dancers drum up wild frenzy

Author: Michael Jou and Ena Yasuhara

The Japanese Club, the Middlebury Asian Social Organization and the Japanese Department sponsored a rhythmical dance performance last Friday night starring Cobu, a Japanese dance group known for their unique fusion of tap dance and taiko drumming. The group's eight performers dazzled on McCullough stage with dance and drums, entertaining the audience with an exceptional spectacle combining traditional and modern forms of Japanese artistic expression.

Cobu was founded in 1999 by Yako Miyamoto, the first Japanese member ever to enter the exclusive company of the world-famous dance performance group "Stomp." The name "Cobu", written with the Japanese characters for "taiko" and "dance," reflects the group's motto: "Dance like drumming. Drum like dancing." The performance only showcased the talents of eight dancers, but the troupe, based in New York, has other members and currently offers classes in tap dance and taiko drumming in New York City. Although the performance of 15 pieces, which lasted an hour and on tap dancing to the beat of the taiko drums, the show was far from repetitive or monotonous. Costumes ranged from long, traditional Chinese silk dresses known as qipao to basketball jerseys, and the dancing consisted of hip-hop as well as nihonbuyou, traditional Japanese fan dance. The performance included three different kinds of taiko drums and energetic aphorisms in Japanese. In addition, there were improvisation routines, where the leader Miyamoto called on specific dancers to repeat the same rhythm that she drummed on the taiko by tapping. The production also featured tap dancing to the melody of "sakura," a well-known Japanese folk song being played, on the traditional Japanese shamisen, a guitar-like instrument with three strings. What the spectators saw was a unique mixture of traditional and modern cultures, of occidental and oriental elements that united to form a cohesive ensemble.

One example of this mélange was seen in a piece where all members wore brightly colored outfits. Leg-warmers, basketball jerseys, short shorts, and vests covered the stage to present a modern, hip-hop look that was almost ostentatious. Although their costumes asserted elements of breakdance and hip-hop, the taiko drums in the background kept the beat of the piece and the performers never took off their tap shoes.

Perhaps one of the most striking features of the dancers was their individuality, which was visible in their distinct, wild and colorful hairstyles. They ranged from highlights and afros to dreadlocks and layers. Yet, while each dancer maintained his or her individuality, the members together appeared as a cohesive troupe with a common identity.

In addition to giving a well-received performance, the troupe also held a workshop on Saturday afternoon at which students were exposed to the basic forms of taiko drumming and learned basic taiko rhythms.