Saturday, May 4, 2024

Ushering More Action to 'G-Spot' New Managers Revitalize The Gamut Room

Author: Chris Grosso

Reclined in a comfortable, homey leather chair comparable to the sleep-inducing cushions of the Great Hall, I'm engaged in my molecular biology text. It's around 9 p.m. on a Wednesday evening, and I can't help but notice that in the Gamut Room, a healthy crowd is lounging around and participating in myriad activities. To my right I observe a girl stretched out on a couch reading a novel. The walls around her are adorned with a gallery of black-and-white photographs. To my immediate left a couple of guys are chatting and playing a game of Mastermind. Four older men with Irish accents are setting up some instruments on the platform near the entrance for their 10 p.m. show. I hear a plate drop in the kitchen, and it brings my attention to the pleasant aroma of coffee and other culinary concoctions emanating from the service window. I smile, kick back and continue reading.

For the past five years the Gamut Room has been a student- run cafe in Gifford's basement. Since 1992, it has been in competition with The Grille as the place for casual, evening entertainment and socializing. Centrally located, this place has much to offer. Last spring Robbie Adler '05.5 and Jon Warnow '06.5, Gamut Room managers, decided to compile a list of aspirations for the underutilized student space.

Within two months they have dramatically revitalized the Gamut Room, opening a small art gallery, vastly expanding the menu and bringing in biweekly performers. Their hard work, complemented by a supportive staff, has paid off as they have succeeded in molding the Gamut Room into a user-friendly lounge. The purchasing of board games, the elimination of railings and the addition of new furniture have further warmed the atmosphere.

The Vitality in the Arts Community Association (VACA) is a new arts organization on campus that has recently mounted a display of artwork in the Gamut Room. The quaint gallery shows an impressive selection of images highlighting the talent of the student body. They're intense pictures well worth a look. About two times a week the Room hosts a musical performance. Last week the Dissipated Eight serenaded the cafÈ-goers, and then an Irish folk group jammed for a bit. The music selection is eclectic. Most of the bands hail from the Burlington area, and student bands are always welcome to perform. In the upcoming weeks, the managers are hosting a celebration of the First Amendment. The open microphone night, hosted by the Otter Nonsense improvisational troupe, will pay tribute to the United States Constitution's opening lines. Be on the look out for advertisements to join the political ranting!

The Gamut Room's all-vegetarian, all-organic menu offers such goodies as nachos and cheese, freshly baked, homemade cookies, tasty quesadillas - a personal favorite - and other snacks. The coffee is some of the finest on campus. To add to the domesticity of the place, all beverages and meals are served in ceramic glasses and plates - forget about the environmentally unfriendly paper goods. The managers rave, "It is a viable, low-cost option to The Grille."

Don't be confused by the illusory menu, though. The suggestion of fried alligator tails and buffalo steak sandwich fresh from the Adirondacks is deceivingly mouth-watering. Each night the enthusiastic staff conjures up a selection of delectable and exotic dishes, and serves them up as a testament to the Gamut Room's authentic and friendly atmosphere.

The walls of this creative Mecca will definitely grab your attention. Although the room is dimly lit, the lamps allow visitors to view the decorative walls. They are painted with a montage ranging from cartoons to portraits of performers to abstract explorations in color.

The Gamut Room is open Sunday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday night is designated as Turkish night because the entire staff is of that nationality. On this special evening the workers tell fortunes, cook ethnic dishes and teach their native tongue.

When you are looking to spend time in a low-key, laidback and somewhat private setting, don't overlook the Gamut Room. While it does get crowded and a bit noisy, for the most part, the cafe is a great place to get reading done or just mingle with friends. According to one customer, the Gamut Room's nickname is the "G-spot" - once you find it, you'll be there all night!