AAA Talent Show Flashes Talent and Skin

Author: Suzanne Mozes

The African American Alliance (AAA) brought Motown to the Middlebury campus this past Saturday evening in McCullough.
At their spring show, co-sponsored by The Office for Institutional Diversity, PALANA, Women of Color and Middlebury Open Queer Alliance, AAA presented "Joining Together In Motown Love."
The night commenced with an eerie opening act - members of AAA masqueraded upon the stage in solid black wearing white masks. Amidst the ghostly crowd, several members stood out in solid white. Afterwards, emcee President of AAA Kiki Taylor '03 explained that "these colorless masks" represent "the masks that we wear every day."
The performance commenced after a moment of silence for the Four Angels, Anisa Gamble, Tiffany Holmes, Maika Prewitt and Iniko Johnson, whose memorial Angel Prize Fund was the night's main beneficiary.
While a portion of the evening was dedicated to modeling Middlebury College campus gear and evening wear, the production translated into more of a variety show than an actual fashion show.
With a total of 22 acts, the evening both entertained and informed.
The themed concept for "Joining Together in Motown Love" emerged after a talk by Associate Professor of Literature and Civilization Will Nash during the AAA-Black History Month symposium in February.
Parliamentarian of AAA Juan Pena '03 explained that "Motown tried to portray African Americans in a way contrary to perceived [stereotypes], which was that African Americans were more sexual" among many other misconceptions. "Motown was able to bring all of the races together, and that was what we were trying to convey," he said.
Amidst choreographed lip syncing to the Jackson Five and the Supremes, interspersed with Question and Answer segments during which audience members won prizes and a beautiful recitation of a "Motown Hits and Bits," a poem written and read by Natlie Fisher '06, the audience learned a tremendous amount about the Motown movement.
From the emcees, attired true to the time period with colorful suits, gloves and pillbox hats, to the innocent choreography and complete skin coverage during the Supremes bit, "everything had a reason" in the show, Pena explains.
The PALANA kids were the highlight of the show, taking a star role in the evening. Two boys and three girls performed a flawlessly choreographed dance to "Puppy Love" that put smiles on every face in the audience. Lauding the children with cheers and laughter, the audience undoubtedly favored the young kids who walked with attitude.
Morgan A. Jones's '04 beatboxing melted hearts with a rendition of past McCullough stage performer Rahzel's "If Your Mother Only Knew," and Andy Rossmeissl '05 and Mark Davis '05 traced the impact Motown has had on P-Funk and George Clinton, hip hop's Bomb Squad Public Enemy, through samplings taken by Jay-Z from the Jackson Five in "H to the Izzo."
Steaming things up a bit, the performance included a mock swimwear competition and lingerie walk.
Despite a few sound problems, the evening proved a successful one, thanks to Taylor and Co-President of Women of Color Jan'l Hastings-Robinson '03 for their dedication and long hours.