Saturday, May 4, 2024

Letter to the Editor Aiming for Top Quality Healthcare and A Response to Diversity Coverage

Author: Peter Nelson

Aiming for Top Quality Healthcare

Many of us are aware that there is a growing healthcare crisis in the United States. Insurance premiums are rising and more and more people find themselves without coverage. Even those that have coverage face increasing deductibles. These factors are undermining our ability to care for the residents of this country. In Vermont, we are fortunate to have the Doctor Dynasaur program which covers many of the less fortunate Vermont children. The Vermont Health Access Plan (VHAP) and Medicaid cover many of the neediest adult Vermonters. Each of these programs, however, faces significant financial and other difficulties. Vermonters in all age groups, and many who work hard at full time jobs, still lack adequate healthcare coverage.

The Open Door Clinic serves as a stop-gap measure to provide Medical care for Addison County residents who couldn't otherwise afford it. We strive to provide high quality care, but it is nevertheless far inferior to an established relationship between a patient and their provider.

March 10-16 was National Insure the Uninsured Week, and on Monday March 17, Middlebury hosted a health fair in McCullough. In light of these events, we urge everyone of you, with or without insurance, to take some time to educate yourselves about this issue, and to share your concern with your friends and legislators. We must work to make quality health care available to all Vermonters.

-- Peter Nelson, assistant professor of geography and member of the board of directors of the Open Door Clinic of Addison County

Response to Diversity Coverage

Recently an article in The Middlebury Campus newspaper did not state all the facts or the benefits of what a diverse community brings to Middlebury ("Conservative Voice," The Middlebury Campus, Feb. 26, 2003). It was simply a direct attack on minority students.

Institutions of higher learning nationwide are admitting students based on their relationship to benefactors/alumni or their athletic ability. Yet, the divisive factor focused on is "race." Isn't it the objective of highly selective colleges and universities, such as Middlebury College, to provide the best education possible to a select group of educated and intelligent students?

The answer, of course, is yes. The complex admissions process is more than just GPAs and SAT scores. It brings students who can contribute something to the school. A diverse campus culture directly impacts the level of education. Students, both minority and non-minority, are exposed to new perspectives which leads to re-examination of their own personal perspectives. Diversity provides interactions important for developing critical thinking and leadership skills. Challenging stereotypes heightens a student's cognitive and personal development. A racially and culturally diverse environment prepares the graduate to contribute positively in our ever-changing world. All students benefit, directly and indirectly, from the diversity offered at Middlebury College.

-- Durrell Mack '06