Women's Hockey Off to 4-0 Start

Author: Kate Nerenberg

The first four games for the women's hockey team have been a showcase for its young talent and superior talent, both offensively and defensively. With a solid 4-0 start to the season, Middlebury proved why it consistently sits atop national and New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) rankings.
In the 6-3 season-opener at Hamilton on Friday, Nov. 22, the first-year Panthers did not hesitate to step into their new roles. In the first period, Liz Yale-Loehr '06 and Hannah DeLong '06 notched one goal a piece to put Middlebury up 2-0. The Continentals came storming back in the next period and tied the game at two within the first five minutes. However, the Panthers stopped their momentum with three quick unanswered goals by Angela Kapus '03, Amber Neil '03 and Emily Quizon '06. In the third session, Hamilton was only able to muster one more goal before Yale-Loehr sealed the win with her second of the night. Kati Madouras '04 held strong in goal, registering 15 saves for the game.
Middlebury took its confidence into the next day's game, thumping Amherst 9-1. This time, the veteran Panthers ran the show along with their younger teammates. After the first period, the Lord Jeffs led 1-0. The Panthers never looked back as they answered with a flurry of five goals in the second period, initiated by Kristin Reid's '04 goal in the first two minutes. Reid led the way with three goals and one assist on the afternoon. Yale-Loehr, Quizon and Jean Butler '04 each ended the day with one goal and two assists. In the third period, Middlebury continued to dominate as it found the net four more times, including a short-handed goal by Kapus. In her collegiate debut, Kate Kogut '06 made 14 saves between the pipes.
In the second week of action, the Panthers continued to walk all over their NESCAC opponents with a pair of wins, in which they scored a total of 15 goals. On Saturday at Wesleyan, Middlebury gained momentum with each period, until they reached a final tally of seven goals and held off Wesleyan and recorded its first shutout of the season. Midway through the first period, Kapus scored the sole goal off a Yale-Loehr pass. DeLong started the Panthers off in the second session with a goal in the first minute of play. Jackie Cohen '05 collected a pass from Lorna Gifis '05 and found the back of the net just seven minutes later. The Panthers broke loose in the last period as Neil registered two of four goals. Madouras performed exceptionally, stopping all 21 shots fired at her.
On Sunday, Middlebury could not be stopped as they scored four goals in each of the first two periods to walk away with a commanding 8-1 win at Trinity. The Panthers took advantage of a power play at the nine-minute mark as Neil found the back of the net. Just nine seconds later, Butler fed Quizon who slipped the puck by the Bantams' net minder for a 2-0 start. A Trinity goal did not slow Middlebury, who went on to score six more goals before the end of the game. Middlebury fired 46 shots and only allowed 13 Trinity shots. Reid and DeLong registered two goals apiece, while Kapus nabbed one goal and one assist.
Kapus was named NESCAC Player of the Week for her three-goal and four-assist performance in the second pair of games. She is currently ranked first in the nation and NESCAC for points per game. In fact, her teammates aren't far behind: Yale-Loehr is ranked third, Quizon fifth and Neil ninth. In NESCAC standings, Middlebury players cover the top seven ranks for points per game and the team is also ranked first.
Out of the league, the Panthers will look to improve on their impressive start when they face Plattsburgh and Elmira this weekend in their first home games.
"We are very excited about this season and are looking forward to the upcoming weekend against Elmira and Plattsburgh. Everyone is on top of her game. The first-years have been amazing. They have stepped into their roles nicely and have contributed a great deal to this team both on and off the ice," commented Kapus.
This weekend should be another formidable test for those first-years that are already playing well beyond their age. In order for the Panthers to continue their winning track record, the veterans and first-years alike will have to work together day by day and game by game.