Volleyball Serves Up Nine Straight Wins

Author: Bryan Goldberg

The Middlebury women's volleyball team continued its streaky play during the course of the last two weeks, but this time they tore apart the win column, taking nine straight, including two in front of an enthusiastic homecoming crowd. After Homecoming's dissapointing Friday night collapse against Wesleyan, a rival that the Panthers were confident they could defeat, the team rebounded in dramatic fashion, annihilating New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) rivals Trinity and then Connecticut College, both in Saturday afternoon action, and both by a score of three games to none.
For seniors Evan Kanaly '03 and Katie Kenney '03, it was a memorable farewell performance. Both of these standout athletes have been a major source of inspiration and leadership during the course of the season.
"Both of our captains have had an amazing year, and the fact that there were so many freshman players made their role that much more important," explained Jamie Wong '06, "to see them walk off the home court victorous was really great."
While the Homecoming tournament marked the end of regular season intra-conference play, the Panthers continued their rampage during a series of inter-conference matchups. First, the Panthers took to the road in order to square off against inter-conference opponents Plattsburgh and Plymouth. Evidently, the Panthers brought with them the same formula that resulted in Homecoming dominance, as they easily brushed by Plattsburgh by a score of 3-0 and then knocked off Plymouth in five games.
Even though the Homecoming victories assured the Panthers a spot in the postseason NESCAC tournament, their goal of finishing the season with a winning record, a feat that they have accomplished in each of the last six seasons, was still in jeopardy. Those fears were immediately put to rest, however, at the Brandeis Invitational, a tournament that was dominated by the Middlebury squad who has seemingly forgotten how to lose. Easy victories over St. Michael's, Plymouth State, Lasell and the host school not only ensured a winning season, but a sharp improvement over last year's successful team. A no-sweat match against Eastern Connecticut served as an exclamation point.
Now, the Panthers, who are riding on nine straight wins for the first time in recent memory, set their sites on the postseason tournament to be held at Williams this weekend. Since it is an elimination-style event, they are only guaranteed one match against Colby, an opponent who narrowly defeated them earlier in the season.
The Panthers look to even the season series against their Maine opponent, en route to what looks to be a promising postseason.