Feel the Frequency of WRMC 91.1 FM

Author: Kate Prouty

Whether it's the Magnetic Fields or the Microphones, the only independent radio station in Addison County is emitting sounds to be reckoned with. Entirely student-run, WRMC 91.1 FM contributes a chunk of quality airtime to be admired when compared to other, sometimes less-impressive college radio stations.
Rising above and beyond — in the quality of facilities, programs and amount of live airtime (rocking 24 hours a day like only Public Safety can) — WRMC sounds as good as if the brains behind the operation were actually getting paid for their valuable time.
A crew of five seasoned veterans makes up the executive board of the station, but the music you hear is largely made possible by a slew of dedicated volunteer disc jockeys. Committing more time than most organizations would dream to ask of their members and maintaining insane hours — have you ever talked on the radio from 3 until 6 a.m?—WRMC DJs must really love what they're doing.
General Manager Zach Manganello '03 and Business Director Ryan Abernathey '04 agree that there's no radio like college radio. It is so special, in fact, that they, although already having invested years to the station, do not plan on pursuing careers in commercial radio.
While the College has graduated WRMC DJs to high profile positions in the business, like Frank Sesno '77, formely the White House correspondent for CNN, the current troop is looking to enjoy college radio for what it is.
Allowing for a freedom of voice, musically and artistically, like no commercial station could offer, WRMC is a dream for those with a vision.
But not just anyone can hop on the air. Since increasing their broadcast range with a new antenna atop the College's heating plant in November 2000, WRMC has been striving to up the professionalism of their programming.
That means DJs have to intern with an experienced announcer for six months before they are allowed their own show. Competition for airtime — even that late night shift — is fierce, slots being given on a seniority basis.
Although WRMC is broadcasted on campus, it also caters to the Middlebury community at large. They produce their music and informational programming with the hopes of reaching listeners beyond the College.
The station's programming includes world, folk, jazz, blues, rock, punk, hip hop, techno, industrial, ska, reggae and classical music, as well as news and sports broadcasting.
WRMC boasts being the only source of alternative programming in Addison County, with most of its rock music being produced by independent labels.
In other words, WRMC brings you the music that you may never have heard before that other stations in the area can't. Or, even if you have already heard an artist's work, WRMC is sure to bypass the huge hits and give airtime to the less-heard B-side tracks passed over by commercial stations because they are not Billboard material.
In this way, listeners might be reminded of WNCS 104.7 FM, the station commonly known in the Burlington area as "The Point." According to their Web site (www.pointfm.com), the station, which avoids the control of large corporations, is "committed to presenting a diverse blend of music, much of which gets little exposure anywhere else." As their slogan promises, "Music is the point," for them much as it seems to be for WRMC.
Another advantage of the station's musical diversity is you never know what you'll hear when you tune your dial to 91.1 FM. Unlike commercial stations that subscribe to a certain listenership — like exclusivley rock or classical music — WRMC must play music that's as eclectic as its listeners.
After hearing your favorite folk program in the morning, you may find youself in the middle of the blues hour without even noticing the transition. Depending on what a listener is looking for, this can be seen as both a positive and negative programming goal.
Nate Hogan '03, music director for the station, is the man to see if you want to know what's new in the indie music scene.
As he receives CDs by the box load, Hogan sorts the music by genre and delegates it to the various music managers, each resident experts in a certain musical genre. The music managers then grade each CD and slap it with a sticker summarizing the band and recommending tracks for the DJs who will eventually play the album. Hopefully no bad apples get through the gauntlet.
This year WRMC looks forward to resurrecting old programs, like their bi-annual publication "FMphasis," which has not been in circulation since spring 2000, as well maintaining old traditions, like the spring music festival Sepomena.