Violinist Gidon Kremer Captivates in CFA Hall

Author: Suzanne Mozes

The internationally-acclaimed Gidon Kremer graced Middlebury College's stage at the Center for the Arts on Saturday night.

This Latvian-born violinist began studying music at age four with his father and grandfather, both of whom were accomplished string players. He enrolled in the Riga Music School at age seven and by eighth grade was auditioning for competitions in Poland, Romania and France.

Amazingly, at age 16, his violin skills earned him the First Prize of the Latvian Republic, and within several years he was selected as one of few students to apprentice at the Moscow Conservatory.

In the past 25 years of his distinguished career, Kremer's reputation begs worldwide attention as "the most ceaselessly original and inquisitive violinist on the concert stage ... He is one of those few performers capable of exalting the music he plays," according to Newdays's Justin Davidson.

Ceaselessly cited for bringing "dead" music alive for his audience, Kremer plays an extensive repertoire encompassing classical, Romantic, chamber and modern music.

He has recorded over 100 albums that, in turn, have been favored with many awards such as the prestigious "Grand Prix du Disque."

Interestingly, Kremer established the KREMERata BALTICA chamber orchestra to encourage and nurture talented young musicians from the Baltic states. He tours with this orchestra as the artistic director and a violinsoloist.

However, Kremer is not without his faults. A New York Times article admitted that, "The trouble with Mr. Kremer's playing is that it is so good that he can make any piece he interprets seem a minor masterpiece." And the New York Post warned that, "if you are looking for a moment's rest or a peaceful interval for the mind to float, don't go to a recital by Gidon Kremer, one of the most intense — and most interesting — violinists before us today." So maybe these are not the worst possible criticisms to receive. But they are the reality you must face if you please audiences in the way that Kremer has consistently done.

Following the consistent trend of his success, Mr. Kremer's performance at the College this past Saturday evening was truly a special event. If nothing else, it upheld his impressive reputation as one of the best-known and most successful violinists leading the forefront of music today.

In the next two weeks, Kremer will be traveling to Schwetzingen and Munich, Germany to perform solo concerts.