WARM UP THE BUS! With Thrashing of Wentworth, Panthers to Face Old Foe

Author: Peter Yordan

In a two-game series over the weekend, the Middlebury men's hockey team defeated their NCAA quarterfinal opponent, Wentworth Institute of Technology, by margins of 6-0 and 9-1. The scores served as a poor indication of how lopsided the contests were. Outshooting their opponents by a total of 104-20 over the two-game span, the Panthers, who will host the remainder of the NCAA tournament this coming weekend, found a more dangerous adversary in their own overconfidence than in their on-ice rival.

Coming into the quarterfinal match-up, Middlebury was the nation's number one ranked team, having just secured their third consecutive New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) title by defeating Trinity in the title game. The team's first opponent in the NCAA championship was the Wentworth Leopards, who the week before had narrowly won the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Northeast division crown on the strength of their solid goaltending. Before the contest, Head Coach Bill Beaney tactfully sized up the challenge he expected his team to face from Wentworth. "They're going to come in excited about getting into the NCAAs, though they're maybe not as talented as some of the teams we're going to play."

The first game started, however, on a surprisingly equal note. While Middlebury managed to dominate possession in the early going, they could not find a way to score on Wentworth goaltender Raj Bhangoo, and they nearly gave Wentworth an early lead by surrendering a pair of breakaways in the first several minutes. On the second breakaway attempt Swedish International Christian Carlsson '02 stacked his pads to make a nice save to keep the game scoreless. It would be one of his few tests during the weekend series. The period ended without a goal, with Wentworth recording eight shots. They would never again manage more than four over any 20-minute span. "Sometimes when you are playing against a weaker team it is tough," said Kevin Cooper '04 of his team's rough start.

Fittingly, it was Cooper, the team's leading goal scorer, who broke through for Middlebury's first goal halfway through the second period on a nice feed from Matt Dunn '02. The floodgates opened soon after that, as Middlebury's relentless fore-checking and cycling resulted in goals by Jack Kennedy '02 and John Dawson '04. Indeed, it seemed as though there was an invisible glass wall on the Wentworth blue line which kept the puck from ever leaving their zone. The Leopards did not manage a single shot on goal the entire period.

Another goal from Dawson, along with goals by Adam Foote '04 and Andy Campbell '02, gave Middlebury the 6-0 lead, while a late-game stick swipe at a Middlebury player by the frustrated Bhangoo drew the crowd's ire and provided some much needed drama for the close of the first game. Carlsson made 10 saves to record one of his less taxing shutouts of the year. "We played well at times, but not for 60 minutes," said co-captain Ryan Constantine '02. "In the beginning I think we were a little too excited to score, but we relaxed and tightened up defensively."

The next day was more of the same, as Middlebury's superior depth and talent allowed them to methodically grind their opponents into the ice. The Panthers jumped out to an early lead when junior Robert Chisholm banged home his own rebound four minutes into the first period. Goals by Patrick Nugent '05 and J.F. Duchesne '02 early in the second period gave Middlebury a 3-0 lead. A late period tally by Constantine robbed Wentworth of the will to fight, and the third period opened with two quick goals from Dunn and Mike Kennedy '04. Wentworth scored the goal of honor midway through the period when, with Middlebury two men down, the puck took an awkward hop over Carlsson's shoulder. Kennedy then scored his second and third goals of the night within 30 seconds of one another, and Cooper finished off the scoring with his 28th goal of the season to bring the score to a robust 9-1.

The Middlebury crowd found their cause célebre in Wentworth senior Joe Crowley, who had sat on the bench for four years, and despite playing in his final game had not yet been on the ice. Crowley's mother enlisted the support of the Middlebury faithful to help prompt his appearance, but alas, despite pleading chants of "We want Joe!" for much of the final 10 minutes, he was not allowed a shift, and the fans had to content themselves with Middlebury's smooth advancement to the Final Four.

"We were able to play our style of play despite them not being that good," said Brian Phinney '05. "We'll want to carry that good final period into the week." The Panthers won't have to worry about travel plans disrupting their momentum. Middlebury was awarded the right the host the Final Four after the quarterfinal match-up. The College hosted the 1995 and 1997 championships, but this is the first time that the tournament will be played in the new Kenyon Arena. "It's a little intimidating for teams to have to come in here and play us," said Cooper. "I think it's a huge advantage to be hosts. We're undefeated at home, and with the big ice surface we know how to move the puck. It's going to be fun."

Waiting for the Panthers in the next round is in-state rival Norwich. The Cadets embarrassed a strong Bowdoin team in their quarterfinal match-up, beating them by scores of 3-0 and 7-0. They will most likely provide the stiffest challenge to a Panther victory in the tournament. "I am surprised," said Beaney of his team being matched with Norwich in the semifinal round. "In the tournament we are the top two seeded teams left. But you know what, if you're going to win it, you've got to beat everybody, so we may as well play them now."

Norwich is the only team that has managed to beat the Panthers this year, handing them a 5-1 loss back in November. Middlebury returned the favor with a 3-1 win at home in February. The rubber match on Friday, however, will be for a lot more than just pride.

"The last time we played Norwich I think we really outplayed them," said Constantine, who along with the six other seniors on the team will be donning the Middlebury uniform for the final time in their careers this weekend. "There's nothing better than having the chance to win the championship at home, in front of your home fans." With nearby defending champion and foe Plattsburgh State facing off against Wisconsin-Superior in the other semifinal game, tickets should be hard to come by, and the atmosphere inside the stadium should be electric. With plenty of rival fans in attendance, the team will need all of the support of the Middlebury faithful to maintain its legendary home advantage. Anyone who makes it to the games should be treated to some fine hockey action. "We're playing the best hockey we've played all year," said Beaney. "We're ready to play."