Panthers Bid Farewell to Senior Standouts

Author: Peter Yordan

The Middlebury men's hockey team came up short in their bid for a sixth national championship this year, but for the team's seven seniors their loss is just a final sour note to four years of great hockey. The seniors, the final link to the championship teams of the late 1990s, will leave as a strong part of the legacy of Middlebury hockey. The seniors' leadership and strong play were perhaps the main reason for Middlebury's record tying 26 wins this year, starting with co-captains and defensive stalwarts Grayson Fertig and Ryan Constantine.

"Grayson and Ryan have been very, very good captains," said Coach Bill Beaney. "Their personalities have really balanced each other." Fertig and Constantine have very different styles but share an equal commitment to team defense. On a team filled with defensive standouts, Fertig has been the rock of the blue line. "Grayson is our pillar," said Beaney. "He's our go-to guy on defense." Fertig's hard nosed play is well complimented by his co-captain, Constantine. "Ryan is as good a pure skater as we've ever had," said Beaney. Constantine's smooth skills gave him a nod on the second-team All-American squad. "He's sacrificed a lot of offensive stats to make sure he played good defense."

Senior Matt Dunn is a Division III premier offensive defenseman. It was his combination of attacking abilities as well as his stellar defense that earned him first-team All-American honors. He was the team's third leading scorer and a constant threat to take the puck end to end. "He's our go-to guy in most every big situation," said Beaney. "He's a defenseman, but I say that with hesitancy."

Matt Snyder has had to fight injuries all year, but he still managed to be the team's second leading goal scorer. His 15 goals included one four-goal game against Massachusetts College. As assistant captain, Snyder assumed one of the leadership roles this year. "He kept doing all the little things that make things happen for this team on and off the ice," said Beaney.

Jack Kennedy and Andy Campbell have been important role players for the team, chipping in key goals and making important contributions in the locker room as well. Both players arrived this year with a renewed commitment to contribute to the team and strong work ethic. "Andy and Jack always kept everything in perspective for the team," said Constantine.

Goalie Christian Carlsson finished his year doffing his helmet and bowing to the Middlebury faithful. His gesture of thanks was well appreciated by the fans, whose unwavering support of Carlsson helped him to the finest season by any goalie in Division III hockey, and he was rewarded, earning his spot on the first-team All-American squad. His gaudy 1.39 goals against average was far and away the best in the country. "Christian was always there for us in big games," said Constantine. "We could always count on him to make the big save to bail us out. A finalist for Player of the Year, the 6'4" Swede will leave big shoes to fill for whoever assumes the starting goaltender mantle next year.

The seniors will be sorely missed. "The hardest thing about leaving is not being in the same locker room with these guys anymore," said Constantine. "It sounds corny, but it's like a big family. We're leaving with memories that no one can ever take away."