Beethoven Meets Vermont at Symphony Concert

Author: Mike Csazar

The Vermont Symphony Orchestra (VSO) entertained a sold out Flynn Theatre audience on Saturday night with a trio of Beethoven's most famous works. The program began with a delightful rendition of Beethoven's "Coriolan Overture, Op. 62," a work written to accompany a Heinrich von Collin play in 1802. While the Beethoven work does not outline the entire play, much of the overture's power is drawn from the tragic plot. First violinist and acting concertmaster Mayuki Fukuhara gave a most dramatic and conspicuous performance from the first note. Fukuhara's two-foot long coat tails were sent flying many times as his bowing nearly took him out of his seat.

Not to be outdone was pianist Jonathon Biss, who appeared on stage for the second piece, Beethoven's "Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58." This work is noted for its intricate interplay between piano and orchestra and has been one of Beethoven's most beloved works since its first performance in 1807. While the first and second two movements feature very open and liberating use of structural form, the third movement settles down into a patterned dialogue between the piano and orchestra. From his touch of the keys, Biss seemed taken by the music. In fact, at times the audience seemed uncomfortable with Biss's flair. However, there was no debating his ability as a pianist, and his amazing facility controlling the piece. Although the concerto lasted nearly 40 minutes, Biss never looked at a piece of music. Rather, he played from heart, which did not go unnoticed. Biss received a standing ovation after his performance and was brought back onto stage twice to receive the audience's cheers.

The night concluded with "Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67." Beethoven's fifth symphony is perhaps the best know of all classical pieces. It was written at a time in Beethoven's life where he was most introspective and actually contemplating suicide. The four movements display Beethoven's grappling with his own inner torment and his attempt to overcome adversity. The VSO's performance was most notable in the "Allegro" movement, when an arpeggiated chord in C minor is accompanied by restless and meandering basses and cellos.

In all three pieces, Jaime Laredo directed a fantastic orchestra. After "Concerto No. 4" the crowd gave the group a standing ovation, and their appreciation after "Symphony No. 5" was equally laudatory. The VSO's aggressive style certainly added new life to these two-century old pieces to make for a most enjoyable evening. For those interested, the VSO will be giving a performance at the FlynnSpace on Sunday, Feb. 10, at 7 p.m.

The concert will be a series of short works written by Vermont composers in response to the events of Sept. 11.